Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Stargazer: My car."


Because I was destined to own my current car, I got into a car accident which totalled my old car and caused me to re-examine my life through painting.


It was five days after my twentieth birthday and I was driving home. I was two miles away from home when a girl coming in the opposite direction swerved and hit me head on going 55-60 mph. My mother was driving behind me and saw the accident happen. After getting home from the emergency room, I was still on an adrenaline high and basically trying to make sure everyone in my family was okay.



This happened the weekend before the fall semester of school started. I had signed up for Painting II, which required me to make six paintings that were related (a series). I had decided to do the seven deadly sins, one more than the required, but then after my accident, I decided to focus my paintings on how my emotions changed in the months after the accident.


A few months before my car accident, my parents had bought a newer car for my mother. It had belonged to my brother's friend who changes cars often because he works for the car company and gets a discount. My parents got a good deal on the car and gave me their old car to drive. The car was nice but never really felt like mine. My current car, which I now have because of the accident, is perfect for me. It is big enough to carry all of my canvases and is as comfortable as can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment